Monday, February 16, 2009

Awkward teenager = Wybie?

Seriously? I can't sleep so I was doodling different body types in everyday poses. 
I try to draw an awkward teen stretching and... it started looking like Wybie from Coraline , so 
I groaned and finished it off as him as it wasn't the first time this has happened since watching the first sneaks , then the movie.  Little bits of the kid have snuck into every sketch of my project character >:|



 Now let us pray the giggling teen fans never catch wind of this.
BTW, a little note on Wybie: From the first clip with him I KNEW he was bi racial! It made me so happy as you never see enough of it in any medium so my little mixed race heart sang. Growing up I never had a fictional character I could really relate to on that level so hopefully this will start a trend and my kids will have more characters like him to grin about and feel more normal because of. On that note I love that they didn't shove his race in , that it just was without note like it should be , too often in movies you get the " token racial kid" where they have to do something stereotypical to show their race and it's gotten old. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved that they didn't make anything out of having a mixed character! What I hate though is that a lot of people have decided "Nooo he's not mixed he's just light-skinned black," ...because who wants mixed-people, right? *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah that is annoying, it's like the internet version of what happened to me on the way home from work a year ago. A man point blank told me I don't exist after asking and me telling him my ethnicity because " no decent white would mix with japs or sand *insert outdated idiocy beginning with N here* " Two of the most gorgeous people I've ever seen were a guy who was black and korean and another who was black, jewish and irish. <3 mixed race love.

    ReplyDelete